Gone are the days when jeans and trousers were the only forms of bottoms that men could wear. While these shall always be in style, wearing tight clothing on some days might feel like putting in too much of an effort. That’s when joggers come to the rescue!
Joggers are currently high on-trend, with everyone from college students to celebrities making this comfortable attire their go-to casual wear. This is the closest thing you’ll find to the comfort of sweatpants without the lousiness of it, so calling it a distant cousin of sweatpants would suffice as well!
Originally made for the athleisure category, joggers are lightweight and have an athletic appearance that gets tapered towards the legs. However, these no longer seem out of place or cheap. They’ve rather become an item of contemporary clothing when styled correctly and are now available in more sophisticated and slim line styles.
Joggers are indeed the best bet for men who love casual dressing, but don’t want to compromise on style and comfort.
Types of Joggers
Owing to the surge in joggers being a style statement amongst many, gone are the days when joggers were available only in a patent sporty style. With multiple fashion brands replicating the look and feel of joggers into new styles, there are multiple types of joggers that have come into existence. Some of these include:
These are the original, classic joggers. The very first image that comes to one’s mind when the word joggers are mentioned is the classic sporty joggers. These were intended for athletic use and were typically baggy, made of heavy, thick material which added bulk as opposed to the sporty joggers today that have a much flatter and thinner silhouette.
Today’s sporty joggers are made for workouts and sports, providing a comfortable experience. This is obtained through innovative manufacturing that comprises of material that gives you a wide range of movement with moisture-wicking, breathable, and odour-fighting fabric.
If you’re looking for a pair of comfortable bottoms to hang out or run an errand, these are the perfect joggers. Lounge joggers have a relaxed fit and are typically loose cut, made with a material that enhances comfort over performance. With lounge joggers, you’ll have plenty of room to move around and relax while also looking stylish. These offer maximum comfort and can be paired with anything casual – a t-shirt or hoodie.
Everyday joggers, as the name suggests, are joggers for daily wear. They’re your best option when you want bottom wear for everyday style and comfort. Everyday joggers are perfect for running errands, picking up kids from school, for flights, or even when heading out for a casual meet-up with friends. These types of joggers can be worn anywhere from lounging to a doctor’s appointment whilst experiencing absolute comfort in them.
There are days when most of us hate wearing pants, yet we still need something to put the look together. That is when smart joggers come into the picture! These joggers have turned the trend of sweatpants all the way around and proved that a little bit of tailoring and change in material can still render comfort while looking smart and stylish.
The material used in making smart joggers is fine-gauge cotton or a fabric similar to it that creates a dishevelled look, one of the sags at the knees for which joggers are typically famous. These joggers allow you to look smart without being uncomfortable and can be worn to occasions like dinner parties to casual meetings as long as they are styled precisely and properly.
Now that you are aware of the various types of joggers, it makes sense to analyse how can you choose the best joggers for yourself.
Why are Joggers the new men’s casual wear?
The following can be the various reasons that have led to joggers becoming new men’s casual wear
1. Joggers are comfortable and easy to style
- With joggers, the comfort factors reign supremacy owing to their attribute of being airy and roomy. They can be worn year-round as a casual, streetwear kind of attire. Moreover, styling joggers is an effortless process indeed! It is very easy to achieve a cool and casual look by throwing on a pair of joggers with a t-shirt and pairing the same with the right kind of shoes. By doing just this, you are pretty much set to garner compliments on your outfit.
- Unlike jeans and trousers, you can explore a variety of styling patterns and colours when it comes to joggers. Remove the notion of joggers being khaki pants scrunched to the bottom; they’re now available in a variety of fabrics such as wool, tweed as well as cotton. Plus, you can change the material of your joggers as the seasons change. This way you’ll never have to give up on the comfort and style quotient.
- Moving on to the bottoms beneath the bottoms, have you ever thought of wearing a slip-on with your trousers? The very thought of it is a fashion disaster, to say the least. However, with joggers, you can switch to sneakers or slip-on according to how you want your look to turn out.
- To escape looking like a child when pairing sneakers with youthful-looking joggers, opt for bright-hued footwear with monotone joggers or keep the footwear simple if the joggers are flamboyant in colour.
2. Wearing joggers doesn’t require too much thought
- When it comes to joggers, you don’t have to spend a long time thinking about whether to tuck in or out. These blessings of bottom wear let you go both ways while making you feel comfortable and stylish. If you’re aiming for a polished look, tuck in your shirt and pair it with loafers.
- If you’re going for a casual, chill vibe, you can wear a t-shirt with the joggers and they’ll work their magic. It is a cardinal fashion rule that states joggers look best when paired with t-shirts, and you can go for any kind of t-shirt you like graphic or plain solid coloured ones.
- While choosing joggers as casual wear, you can opt for several fashionable combinations, such as ones with the humble track jacket. A track jacket and jogger combination carry an athletic vibe and can be layered with additional outerwear as well.
- Joggers with polo shirts have also become quite the style statement. As uncanny as the combination sounds, these two go pretty well together. If you want to go for a look on the casual end, choose a soft fabric, light-coloured jogger, and if you want to look more polished, go for a slightly heavier fabric with a patterned polo shirt.
Joggers are one of the most versatile pieces of clothing and they’re here to stay. Investing in a pair of joggers or two is going to save you a lot of styling time, wherein you can just walk out donning them without having to undergo the discomfort of wearing pants or jeans all the time.